Fast Facts about the Masters Program in Computer Science (MPCS)
- All MPCS classes meet on the University of Chicago's main campus in Hyde Park.
- Core classes are offered during the day for full-time students and in the evening for part-time students. All elective classes meet once a week @ 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Small class size: Core Courses 40+ students; electives 20 students
- 290 active MPCS students
Student Body Demographics
- 48% Part-time (taking 1-2 classes/quarter); 52% Full-time (taking 3 classes/quarter)
- 18% Female students
- 44% International students
- 40% have undergraduate CS major or minor degrees
- 30% have no previous CS background
- Average of 5+ years of work experience; 30% straight from undergrad
- 35% have other graduate degrees (MBA, MS/PhD in Fin Math, Chemistry, Physics, etc)
- Average Student Age: 28
- Program Retention Rate: 95%
- Full time students can complete the 9-course degree in 1 year; Part-time students usually finish within 18 months to 2 years.
- Average GRE scores for admitted students: upper 20th percentile in the quantitative section and upper 50th percentile in the verbal section
- 60% of graduates are employed in software development/engineering; other areas with significant alumni are technology product management, FinTech, data analysis and research.
- Over 60% of our alumni work in technology companies, 25% are in finance/trading companies, with others mainly in research organizations/universities, healthcare and technology consulting.
- 60% of our graduates are employed in Chicago, with a significant portion of the rest heading to the East and West Coasts.